Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
NZSL Tutor - Auckland
- New role
- Auckland based
- Create strong connections with Deaf and Hard of Hearing students and their whanāu
At Ko Taku Reo we work to nurture the social and emotional wellbeing of New Zealand’s Deaf and hard of hearing children and help them form their own identity; as well as providing support and resources to help them reach their academic potential. You will be joining a nationwide team and you will share their passion and enthusiasm for delivering high quality education and services to Deaf and hard of hearing students and their whanau we support.
As a New Zealand Sign Language Tutor, you will be responsible for the delivery of high quality one on one teaching of NZSL and Deaf cultural responsiveness programmes to Deaf students, their whanāu and team members. You will, in partnership with the education team, plan appropriate programmes and learning activities/materials to meet and support NSZL learners and help to improve their signing skills and raise awareness of Deaf Culture.
Our students come from a wide geographical area with some living in isolated areas, so connecting with a tutor is often done by video calling. Therefore, this role requires someone that will effectively engage with our learners and ensure every Deaf student receives the best possible education in a responsive and supportive environment.
Our ideal candidate will be compassionate and approachable with the ability to foster meaningful relationships with Deaf and Hard of Hearing (HoH) learners, their whanāu and people across all levels of the organisation. You will also need to:
- Hold a relevant qualification such as Deaf Studies Certificate or equivalent
- Have a thorough understanding of and experience of living with Deaf culture
- Be competent in the use and understanding of New Zealand Sign Language, SLPI of Advanced or above
- Be understanding of students and families from a variety of ethnic and religious cultural backgrounds
- Have experience within Deaf and Hard of Hearing or Special Education settings
- Be knowledgeable about second language theories and putting NZSL linguistics into practical forms for the NZSL learner
What's in it for you?
- The opportunity to work for a passionate employer with learners at the centre of all we do
- A broad and challenging role with diversity and freedom to make your mark
- A team approach with support and development opportunities
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in joining a passionate and hardworking team where you can help make a positive impact, please send us a copy of your CV and cover letter telling us why you'd love to work with us! A job description for this role is available here: https://kotakureo.schooljobs.nz/Job/NZSL-Tutor-Auckland/Auckland/908?internal=1.
Only applicants that are legally entitled to work in New Zealand and can make themselves available for an interview will be considered for this position. We may look to interview prior to closing so please apply early. Applications close 5pm, Friday 8 October 2021.