Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Residential Youth Worker - Full-time - Christchurch
- Permanent full-time role
- Demonstrate a real passion and dedication to all aspects of service deliverables
US / MŌ MĀTOU
At Ko Taku Reo we work to nurture the social and emotional wellbeing of New Zealand’s Deaf and hard of hearing children and help them form their own identity; as well as providing support and resources to help them reach their academic potential. We are a school and a national learning organisation. You will be joining a nationwide team who share passion and enthusiasm for supporting our students and school.
THE ROLE / TE MAHI
We are looking for a caring and positive professional who is a team player to join our residential support team on a permanent, full-time basis. As a Residential Youth Worker, you will be responsible for the safe operation of the residential homes for Deaf students. The priority being to support our students in daily tasks including homework and daily residential activities. Your positive attitude and ability to motivate young adults will be the key driver of your success. The Residential Youth Worker works closely and in co-operation with senior leaders, residential staff, families and whānau to encourage and teach Deaf students to live independently.
The residence, located in Sumner, Christchurch, incorporates a residential setting for Deaf boarding students during school term time. The residential programme focuses on independent living and life skills. Students range from 11 to 21 years of age. The hours of work are Monday-Friday, 1.30pm-10.00pm.
ABOUT YOU / MŌ KOE
To be suitable for this position you will have:
- NZSL experience or qualifications preferred or willingness to learn is essential
- Knowledge of Deaf culture preferred, a willingness to learn is essential
- 2+ years' experience working with youth preferred
- A current full driver's licence
- Experience in motivating and communicating with a broad range of groups and individuals and in particular, young people
- Experience working in a school environment preferable but not essential
- Experience working with young people with multiple needs
- Knowledge of Children's Act and NZ legislation preferred
HOW TO APPLY / ME PEHEA TE TONO
If you are interested in joining an organisation where you can help make a positive impact, please apply online with a copy of your CV and cover letter telling us why you'd love to work with us!
Only applicants that are legally entitled to work in New Zealand and can make themselves available for an interview will be considered for this position. We may look to interview prior to closing so please apply early. Applications close 5pm, Sunday 4 June 2023.