Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Speech Language Therapist - Fixed Term
At Ko Taku Reo we work to provide teaching support and resources to help New Zealand’s Deaf and hard of hearing children reach their academic potential as well as nurture their social and emotional wellbeing and help them form their own identity. This new organisation came out of a journey to merge Kelston and van Asch Deaf Education Centres. You will be joining a nationwide team and you will share their passion and enthusiasm for delivering high quality education and services to Deaf and hard of hearing students and their whānau we support.
We have a fulltime fixed term – to the middle of the 2022 School year – Speech Language Therapist role available due to parental leave. Your office will be based at our Sumner site, but will involve work across our provisions.
You will work alongside whānau and educators to determine learner needs and develop strategies to support the learning and welfare of Deaf/Hard of Hearing learners. We provide educational opportunities for learners from 2 – 21 years of age and this role will be working with Deaf/Hard of Hearing learners across that age range.
- Delivers Speech Language and Communication services in line with National Specialist Service Standards and School requirements
- Develops resources to support Deaf and Hard of Hearing learners language and communication skills
- Supports Deaf/Hard of Hearing learners access to the curriculum
- Motivate and encourage Deaf/Hard of Hearing learners to reach their potential
- Provide professional guidance and motivation to teachers and support staff
- Work with wider staff across the organisation ensuring the best outcomes for Deaf/Hard of Hearing learners
You will have:
- NZ recognised qualifications in Speech Language Therapy
- Knowledge and understanding of the NZ Education Sector and recognised for lifting student achievement and wellbeing
- Experience in systems, strategic planning, implementation and reporting
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to build and sustain high trust relationships with whānau
- Affinity with the values of our organisation
- Respect and positive engagement with all learners and colleagues
An affinity or understanding of Deaf Culture and community would be great however we can bring you into this world and help you engage. We are upskilling all of this team in NZSL so would expect you to grow this skill with us.
What's in it for you?
- Rewarding work with children watching them grow
- A focused role with a team approach
- The opportunity to work for a passionate employer
- Work with a diverse and welcoming team
- Learning and development opportunities
- The chance to work in this unique organisation with our learners at the centre
How to apply
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply below with your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd love to work with us and our students. Job Description is attached.
Applications close 5pm Monday 21 June 2021
Only applicants that are legally entitled to work in New Zealand and can make themselves available for an interview in Christchurch at short notice, will be considered for this position. We may look to interview prior to closing so please apply early.